'Surya', Non-violent Silk Scarf
Surya - Assamese for the sun
This silk scarf is made out of 100% non-violent silk from Assam. Absolutely no harm has been inflicted on the many silk worms involved in order to produce it. This makes it both ethical to produce, buy, wear, and to enjoy.
Silk is an ideal natural fibre as it is cooling in summer and warming in winter.
Entirely hand-spun and hand-made by Kalita (and her family in Assam) using traditional tribal techniques of her area. This makes its texture similar to that of linen (and completely unique!) as the weave incorporates imperfections and is natural looking.
- 100% organic, raw, sustainable, and ethically harvested natural silk
- naturally dyed in the red root from the madder plant
- eco friendly: a percentage goes directly into the HH Environmental Fund
- directly supports the maker - learn more here
- hand-made & hand-spun
- 100% non-violent silk
- 45 days - farming
- 2 days - spinning
- 1 day - dyeing
- 2-3 days - weaving & making the fringes
- 50 days total